Profile of the Principal
PRINCIPAL, Hindusthan College of Arts and Science
Former Vice Chancellor, St Joseph University in Tanzania
Doctorate in Social Work with 28 years of experience in teaching, administration, guiding Ph.D scholars, consultancy in social science research and evaluation, projects, publications and honored with awards for academic credentials.
- Principal, Hindusthan College of Arts and Science, Coimbatore (July 2018 to till date)
- Former Principal, SNMV College of Arts and Science, Coimbatore( May 2015 to June 2018)
- Vice Chancellor of St Joseph University in Tanzania, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania ( May 2012 – March 2015)
- Principal of G.R.Damodaran College of Science, Coimbatore(2006-2012)
- Professor and Head, GRD School of Social Work, Dr.G.R.Damodaran College of Science, (1996-2006)
- Lecturer, GRD School of Social Work, Dr.G.R.Damodaran College of Science, (1989-1996)
Supervisor for two years (1987-1989) under the National Literacy Mission (NLM) and National Adult Education Programme (NAEP) of GRD Trust.
Achievements as the Vice- Chancellor(May 2012-Feb 2015)
- As the Vice Chancellor of SJUIT administered 5 campus colleges namely, St Joseph College of Engineering and Technology, Dar Es Salaam, St. Joseph College of Information Technology, Songea, St Joseph College of Agricultural Science and Technology, Songea, St.Joseph College of Management and Finance, Makambakko and St.Joseph University in Tanzania-Arusha campus.
- Established University Council, Senate, Standing Committee of Academic Council (SCAA), College Advisory Board as per the Constitution of SJUIT.
- Conducted University Council, Senate, SCAA, College Advisory Board meetings periodically.
- Responsible for the Academic, Administrative and Financial functions of the University and campus colleges.
- Preparation and monitoring of the University Budget.
- Planning and control of income and expenditure of the University in accordance with approved budget.
- Manpower planning and recruitment of teaching and non teaching staff.
- Evolving marketing strategies required to promote the existing and new programmes.
- Monitoring of the admissions process of the University.
- Curriculum development and evaluation of various programmes.
- Responsible for the Controller of Examination section.
- Chair person of the Examination Award committee and Passing Board to pass the result of University colleges.
- Introduced Master Degree prgrammes in Engineering and Management Science in SJUIT
- Introduced new and unique 5 year Integrated Degree programme- ‘Bachelor of Science with Education’ for Form 4 leavers and 3 year programme for Form 6 leavers
- Introduced Degree and Diploma programmes in Nursing and Midwifery .
- Established three campus colleges in Songea, Makambakko and Arusha in Tanzania .
Achievement as the Principal of Dr.GRD College of Science,Coimbatore.
- As a Principal acted as Chief Examiner of Dr.GRD College (for the last 6 years) with 15 UG Courses & 17 PG Courses with a total of 3000 students.
- Provided leadership and motivation for the development of innovative and relevant academic programmes, updated professionally oriented curricula and effective teaching / learning techniques and assessment systems at the College, leveraging elements like industry – institutions liaison and MoU’s, Teacher Development and reorientation, Introduction of Career Oriented Courses and Interdisciplinary courses etc.
- Streamlined Administrative office and the Controller of Examinations section with greater application of computer software ”EDU MANAGE”.
- Set up Linguistics Lab for the development communication skills of students; and MOU with ICICI Bank for Pre recruitment training.
- Guided the organization effectively towards obtaining the ISO 9001:2008 Certification.
- Successfully worked towards getting the 5 Star Level accreditation by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) of the UGC in 2001 and led the entire team (both Teaching and Non-teaching staff) for NAAC Re-accreditation and obtained “A” Grade in the year 2008.
- Chief Warden of the College Men`s and Women`s Hostel (Managing 500 students).
- Introduced Staff Self Assessment method with one to one interaction model and introduced 360 degree Appraisal system.
- Established Placement Cell and Organized On Campus and Off Campus Job Fairs which enabled a number of students in getting appointments based on their credentials.
- Prepared and motivated faculty to prepare Project Proposals for the Grants-in-Aid.
- Introduced MCQ (Multiple Choice Question) on line examinations for all UG and PG students.
ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE INITIATIVES:
UGC/ Govt. of India Programmes of Institutional Development:
Established “Entrepreneurship Development Cell” (EDC) – sponsored by the Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India, for a period of 5 years.
Established “Women’s Studies Centre” funded by the University Grants Commission (UGC), Govt. of India, for a period of 3 years.
- Approved Guide & Supervisor for M.Phil and Ph.D programmes of the Bharathiar University and MBA Programme of the Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU).
- Awarded 6 M.Phil and 7 Ph.D Degrees.
- Currently guiding 7 D scholars.
- Project guidance extended to over 250 MSW students.
POSITIONS HELD IN THE ACADEMIC BODIES / ORGANISATIONS /INSTITUSIONS / UNIVERSITIES:
- Member of University Council, Joseph University in Tanzania, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- Chair Person of University Senate Committee, SJUIT, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- Chair Person of University Standing Committee of Academic Affairs, SJUIT, Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania
- Former Senate member of the Bharathiar University, Coimbatore.
- Member Secretary, Governing Council of the Dr G R Damodaran College of Science, G R Damodaran Academy of Management and Dr G R Damodaran College of Education.
- Acted as Chairman, Board of Studies, Social Work, Dr. G.R. Damodaran College of Science, Coimbatore.
- Acted as Convener of University Inspection Commission (Social Work) and inspected many colleges to inspect the infrastructural facilities required to offer Social Work program.
- Acted as Chairman, Academic Council of the Dr. G.R. Damodaran College of Science, Coimbatore.
- Acted as Chairman, Board of Examination Committee of the Dr. G.R. Damodaran College of Science, Coimbatore.
- Member, Board of Studies, Social Work, Bharathiar University, Coimbatore.
- Member, Panel of Question Paper setters of the PSG College of Arts and Science, Coimbatore, Ramakrishna Mission Vidhyalaya College of Arts and Science, and Bharathidasan University, Trichirapalli, Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai, Tamilnadu.
- External Examiner for conducting Fieldwork and Project Viva-Voce examinations at PSG College of Arts and Science, Sri Ramakrishna Mission Vidhyalaya College of Arts and Science and Bharathiar University Colleges, Coimbatore.
- Member, Board of Juvenile Justice, Coimbatore District.
Resource Person at various programmes like Prime Minister’s Rojgar Yojana Scheme, Women Entrepreneurs Development programmes, Indira Gandhi National Open University, State Government’s Workers Education Scheme etc.
RECOGNITION / AWARDS
- Best Teacher award at Dr.G.R.Damodaran College of Science, Coimbatore.
- Best Paper award in Fifth International conference on Global Research in Business and Economics organized by Florida A&M University, USA and University Kebangasaan Malaysia ,December 28-30,2009 in Kuala Lampur, Malaysia.
- Best paper award in International Conference on the Roles of the Humanities and Social Sciences in Engineering 2010 organised by Centre for communication skills and Entrepreneurship and School of Business Innovation and Technopreneurship,University Malaysia,Perlis,November 12-14, 2010 in Pulau Pinang, Malaysia.
- Rotary Club of Gaalaxy, Coimbatore, Rotaract Clubs of Coimbatore Main and SKASC Jointly offered VOCATIONAL SERVICE EXCELLENCE AWARD for yeoman service rendered towards the upliftment of Education standards and Student community, on 3.02.2010.
- Pandit Nehru Trust, Coimbatore offered LIFE TIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD for yeoman service rendered towards development of Education and Community in 2017.